Last week, after Rapoport wrote a Mail
Bon Appetit about the protests sparked by the death of George Floyd, food writer Korcha Wilson moved to Twitter and Accused
The company of women who become gases. On Monday, many accusations surfaced online, partly sparked by a 2013 Instagram photo of Rapoport in brown for Halloween.
By the end of a day when the food media world was full of discussions about the magazine’s culture and the inclusion or absence of various voices in the industry, several Bon Appétit employees have publicly said that they will stop appearing in the magazine’s popular videos until changes are made or posted that they demanded his resignation.
On Monday evening, Rapoport announced his resignation. “I am stepping down as the editor-in-chief of Bon Appétit to think about the work I should do as a human being and allow Bon Appétit to reach a better place,” Rapoport published
The controversy is sparking new interest in the problem of representation in the food media. It will also be a hit for Conde Nast magazine, which recently viewed Bon Appetit as a surprising success story, especially with its younger youth magazines.
Last month, Bon Appétit won four awards at the National Society of Magazine Editors’ awards including overall service excellence and lifestyle. After the printed magazine, the brand grew A successful YouTube channel
“Being a global media company, Condé Nast is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and fair work environment. We have a zero tolerance policy towards discrimination and harassment in any way. In line with this, we are doing our best to ensure that employees,” said Joe Libonati, Head of Communications at Condé Nast. , “We have received fair wages, according to their roles and expertise, throughout the company. We take the well-being of our employees very seriously and prioritize people’s approach to our culture. “
Among the staff of the magazine who summoned Rapoport was aid of food editor Suhaila Waili. at Story on Instagram Monday
Al-Waili said she only earns $ 50,000 and said that only white editors paid to appear in the magazine’s videos, while she was not despite an increasing presence in the videos and a number of fans.
Priya Krishna, Bon Appétit Contribution Retweet
Rapoport posted on Instagram his brown face and wrote, “This is respectable, simple and simple. It wipes out the work that BIPOC staff did a long time ago, behind the scenes. I plan to do everything in my power to hold the EIC, and the systems that stop such actions, accountable.” .
Molly Paz, a prominent food editor, YouTube channel star, said in Instagram story
They will not appear in the videos until the company guarantees equal pay.
Alex Lao, a former staff photographer, chirp
One of the reasons why Bon Appetit left him is the lack of support for people of color and the problem of obtaining leadership to listen to acting issues.
Condé Nast was appointed Rapoport’s editor-in-chief for Bon Appétit in 2010. He was previously a GQ style editor and has been working in the magazine cluster since 2000.
Rapoport did not respond to a request for comment.
Correction: A previous version of this story wrongly copied to Claire Savetz a quote she never had.