Because of the pandemic coronavirus, the 30-year-old is living a very different life – after being isolated on his family’s farm in Western Australia, he has moved a lot of fast lane to the yard.
“I’ll be honest, I miss the lights, the lights and the mess in the F1, the competition,” Ricardo Amanda Davis told CNN World Sport. “I want it again, very soon.”
He may sometimes feel a little lonely, but if the Instagram driver for Renault – has 3.1 million followers – is anything that goes into it, he also had a lot of fun in the outback. The Australian spreads his self driving a motorbike to the house, wandering around making his own parkour and driving buggy off-road.
“Even just making paths through the bush and around some trees and this, it was nice to watch my eyes and keep my reactions going.
“Yes it is on the dirt and you are sliding down and not like F1 however [it’s] Keep my reactions and reactions. This is definitely something that I think really helped. “
The family farm includes sheep, cows, and alpacas, and the F1 driver has posted photos of him approaching animals – though not very close.
Ricardo reveals: “I intended every morning to cut, to cut sheep.” “So I saw our charge d’affaires do it, and I didn’t feel confident.
“So I pulled a pin in it and haven’t come back since. I take pictures of all of this. I love them but I don’t love much because I don’t get close enough to them.”
While his work on the farm was limited – “I wouldn’t pretend to be very good at operating machinery but I’m going out there and digging holes and things” – Ricardo’s exercises were extensive.
The Australian became creative with his surroundings to stay in shape while the F1 season was on hiatus. He cuddles and wires battle ropes, turning tires and even lifting mechanical equipment like gearboxes.
“If you’re kind of in the gym all the time working on the treadmill, no one will enjoy that after a while,” says the Australian. “Become monotonous. Even just being creative with workouts made it more durable.”
Musical chairs F1
Days after Vettel’s announcement on May 12, Carlos Sainz Jr. was signed to replace the German, and when the music stopped, Reno Ricardo was appointed to the seat of the 25-year-old Spaniard in McLaren in 2021.
Ricardo says he was having ongoing talks with Ferrari until the decision to join McLaren. Throughout his career, the 30-year-old Australian has been constantly associated with the move to the Italian team.
“There were discussions a few years ago,” Ricardo said. “It has continued all the way up until now.” “So yes, I will not deny it. But it is clear that it never paid off.”
Both Ricardo’s parents are of Italian origin. His father was born in Italy and his Australian mother was from Italian parents. But he is not sure why he never joined the Maranello-based team.
“I really don’t know and I never choose to dive into its depths. Everyone says it will fit perfectly, obviously, with my name and all background elements, but yes, I try to be emotionally stuck in any type of situation.
“I see how Carlos is right for the team. So I don’t really see him as,” Why don’t I? “I’m looking at it: Yes, Carlos was having a very strong year for 2019. Yes, he does have a little hot ownership now, and I think it’s a perfect fit for his place.”
Go to McLaren
Coronary virus pandemic means that these next season moves have been completed before the race in 2020.
Ricardo’s full season with Renault last year was his worst performance in Formula One in six years, as the team finished fifth in the constructors’ championship standings, 54 points behind fourth-placed McLaren.
In his first interview since confirming his multi-year agreement with McLaren, the Australian said he “thought a lot” about the transition.
“I think there is no black and white decision ever. I can’t actually give you a black and white answer. There was no moment, it was like a light bulb and I said,” Yes, that’s what I have to do. “Likewise, it wasn’t There is something I saw in McLaren, which either created it or there was nothing in Renault, which created a moment “I must go ahead”.
“Discussions with McLaren go back to before, I think, 2018, and I think it has continued over time.
“Obviously it’s not a decision overnight. I think the comparison between the two I don’t think that’s fair.”
Before joining Renault, Ricardo spent six years with Red Bull, including one season 2014 with Vettel.
Looking at the series of accidents between Vettel and Ferrari teammate Charles Locklear last season, Ricardo says he has not surprised the four-time world champion with the Italian team.
“I don’t want to say that the writing was on the wall, but some of these incidents made this news somewhat less shocking.”
Ricardo not only believes that the 32-year-old German wants to continue this sport, but also hopes to do so.
“If I knew him well enough, I think he’s still hungry and competitive enough to keep going.
“Also because he is still older than me. So it does not make me the oldest man,” Ricardo mocked.
“I love Sepp. I obviously hosted him as a teammate, but as a competitor he brought something to our sport.
“He is one of the very few, if not the only, inactive on social media, and he is one of the most successful people in our sport, yet he is one of the most private. Even this in itself brings a lot of mystery behind him.”
Return to work in Austria
While describing the stone as “strange,” the 30-year-old has also embraced the slow pace of life in remote areas and believes he has been allowed to refocus on his goals.
“I still see myself being a very strong competitor for many years to come as I’m getting older, but I still feel there is a lot of fire inside me that just wants to compete again.”
If the revised F1 schedule continues, Riccardo will be able to re-fire on July 5, when the sport plans to start a short season with the Austrian Grand Prix.
“It will be interesting to see in Austria where everyone stands and who is kind of a fire outside the box that can be a little rusty.
“I have great confidence in this field. Obviously we are all experienced and professional. I expect some [nerves]Perhaps because of the excitement.
“Equal to this I don’t know, whether it could equate to spectacular overtaking and a crazy race or could mean chaos in the first race, you would definitely get a mix of emotions.”
For public health reasons, fans are not expected to attend the first Formula One weekend race in 2020. But despite what will definitely be a lack of atmosphere, Ricardo is looking forward to returning.
“Obviously, I miss her. I miss her a lot. At the end of the week, two years have passed since my last stage on the podium. I personally yearn for this feeling.”
“When I signed with Renault it was the goal, I think by the second year, it was getting a platform and that’s something I still want to do a lot. I think it can be done. Outside to all concerned.
“I definitely know that I am still a lot indebted to Renault and want to do it, not just for myself, but for them as well. After the news, it was really cool. I got a lot of positive comments from people on the team.
“I know they are excited about me to finish with them for the rest of the year with them, and I try to do the best I can and we hope to win the largest possible number of races.”