Iraq and the United States have confirmed their commitment to withdraw US forces from Iraq without setting a timetable, the Iraqi News Agency reported on Friday, quoting Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kazemi.
The Iraqi parliament had voted earlier this year for the departure of foreign forces from Iraq, and left the United States and other coalition forces as part of the withdrawal.
Al-Kazemi said that the strategic dialogue between the United States and Iraq recognized the decision of the Iraqi parliament regarding the American withdrawal, according to what the Iraqi News Agency reported.
It was not clear whether this would include military trainers. Most parties, including some backed by regional heavyweight Iran, said it would be acceptable to stay in Iraq.
In a joint statement on the strategic dialogue between the United States and Iraq, Washington said it will continue to reduce troops and will discuss with the Iraqi government the status of the remaining forces, stressing that it does not seek permanent bases or a permanent military presence in Iraq.
The joint statement added that the United States also discussed the provision of economic advisers to work directly with the Iraqi government to help advance international support for reform efforts in Iraq in light of the consequences of the coronary virus pandemic and falling oil prices.